First Vice-President - Represents District 1
Term: First elected 2008; Term expires 2013
Educator: Fifth Grade Teacher GPISD
Educational Consultant: Carlos Vasquez & Associates, LLC
Dr. Carlos Vasquez is a life-long educator and educational consultant with more than 20 years of teaching and administrative experience.
As a teacher and administrator in Fort Worth ISD for sixteen years, Dr. Vasquez received many honors and awards, including selection as Region XI Principal of the Year by the Texas Elementary Principals and Supervisors Association in 2007 for his work at McRae Elementary School. He also received the honor of three times being named Teacher-of-the Year.
Dr. Vasquez received his undergraduate degree from the University of Texas at Austin, his Masters of Education degree from the University of Texas at Arlington, and his Doctorate in Education Administration from Baylor University.
- FWISD Board Vice-President
- FWISD Oil & Gas Committee Member
- FWISD Audit Committee Alternate Member
- TASB-Texas Association of School Board Members Board of Director
- Member of the Downtown TIF
- Advisory Committee Fort Worth Trinity River Vision
- Former Member of the City of Fort Worth Diversity Task Force
- Former Member of the City of Fort Worth Street Car Committee
- Former Member of the City of Fort Worth North Side Parks Corridor Committee
- Former Member of the City of Fort Worth Human Relations Commission
- Former Board of Directors for the Sickle Cell Association
- Former Board Member of Imagination Celebration
- Former President, Texas Association of Hispanic School Administrators – Fort Worth
- Former President, Fort Worth Association for Bilingual Education
- Former Vice-President and Board Member, Fort Worth Public School Administrators Association
- Member of NASB- National Association of School Board Members
- Member of NALEO- National Association of Latino Elected Officials
- Member of MASBA- Mexican American School Board Association
- Member of CRSS- Center for Reform of School Systems
- Annual Hispanic Conference Dedication Award
- United Hispanic Council Award
- Region XI Principal of the Year
- FWISD Teacher of the Year
Recent Student and School Achievements in District 1:
- North Side High School’s Rachel Lawton is a finalist for a 2013 H-E-B Excellence in Education Award, one of the largest monetary awards programs for educators in Texas and the nation. Dr. Lawton is the sole recipient in Tarrant County.
- Estevan Roman is the 2013 Texas State Golden Gloves Champion and the first amateur boxer from Fort Worth to win a state Golden Gloves title since 2009. He is also a senior at Diamond Hill-Jarvis High School.
- The North Side Mariachi Espuelas de Plata performed in the lobby of the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center prior to a performance by Two-time GRAMMY® Award winning Mariachi Los Camperos de Nati Cano in December, 2012.
- A 48,040 square-foot North Side High School Addition and Culinary Arts Facility will open in Fall 2013. The project will be funded from savings generated during the 2007 Capital Improvement Program. The facility will house two full production kitchens, two demonstration kitchens, four culinary classrooms, a 150-seat dining hall, 17 core classrooms and one writing lab.
- A new playground was installed at Manuel Jara Elementary School.
- Dolores Huerta Elementary School student Yaset Soto presented her artwork at the commissioning ceremony for the USS Fort Worth in Galveston.
- Sam Rosen Elementary's Courtney Butler was honored as the 2013 Target Chair for Teaching Excellence in Library Science.
- North Side High School's Jennifer Nicholson was honored as the 2013 Freese and Nichols Chair for Teaching Excellence in Secondary Mathematics.
- North Side High School's Renee Peters was honored as the 2013 Chase Chair for Teaching Excellence in Secondary English.
- North Side High School soccer coach Garth Briggeman achieved his 200th coaching victory in 2013.