SPANISH IMMERSION ACADEMY
The Spanish Immersion Academy opens the door to the Spanish language and to the world. This innovative program affords students the opportunity to become bilingual, bi-literate and bicultural citizens of a global society. In primary grades, the curriculum is taught in Spanish for 90 percent of the school day. The amount of English gradually increases, until 80 percent of the class day is conducted in Spanish in the third grade.
Core content knowledge and skills are taught in Spanish and reinforced through attention to linguistic development. Research-based strategies are used by specially trained teachers proficient in both Spanish and English.
Applications are accepted only from incoming K-1 students for whom Spanish is not the primary language. Students may apply to attend the Academy at either Burton Hill or Morningside elementary schools.
- Utilizes Spanish to interact in various cultural situations
- Advanced levels of second language proficiency
- Demonstrates greater problem-solving abilities
- Enhanced literacy abilities in both English and Spanish
- Increases college preparedness and career opportunities