The Young Women’s Leadership Academy (YWLA) is the Fort Worth ISD’s first single-gender school, founded to meet the unique needs of young women by providing an outstanding college preparatory curriculum with an emphasis on math, science and technology. The YWLA offers girls a dynamic learning experience that encourages critical thinking, inspires confidence and nurtures the intellectual and social development necessary for success in college, career and life. Rigorous coursework, field-based exploration and personalized counseling help students transition from middle school to high school to higher education and beyond.
The YWLA is made possible by a partnership between the Fort Worth ISD and the Foundation for the Education of Young Women. The school is based on proven models: the Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders in Austin and the Young Women’s Leadership School in East Harlem.
- Open to high school girls in 9th and 10th grades
- Focus on strengthening leadership abilities and excelling in math, science and technology
- Suitable for students with a strong commitment to graduate from college
- Adding a grade level each year with the first graduating class in 2016
- Career Strands: Bio-Mechanical Engineering & Integrated Digital Media and Animation
- UIL Volleyball, Basketball and Track & Field
- Transportation provided for students residing within the District
* Incomplete applications will not be accepted, and the following documentation must be submitted with the Choices application prior to the January 11 deadline:
- Most recent report card
- Hand-written essay
- Teacher recommendations