INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE MIDDLE YEARS PROGRAMME
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Programme at Leonard Middle provides academic challenge that encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world and become critical and reflective thinkers. Eight subject groups are integrated through five areas of interaction that provide a framework for learning within and across the subjects. IB learners strive to be inquirers, thinkers, communicators and risk-takers while being knowledgeable, principled, open-minded, caring, balanced and reflective.
- Encourages international-mindedness
- Promotes a positive attitude toward learning by challenging students to solve problems, show creativity and resourcefulness and participate actively in their communities
- Reflects real life, revealing the connections among the subjects themselves and between the subjects and real issues
- Supports the development of communication skills to encourage inquiry, understanding and language acquisition and allows student reflection and expression
- Emphasizes, through the learner profile, the development of the whole student physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically