The Young Women’s Leadership Academy (YWLA) is Fort Worth ISD’s first single-gender school for girls, founded to meet the unique needs of young women by providing an outstanding college preparatory curriculum with an emphasis on math, science and technology. The YWLA offers girls a dynamic learning experience that encourages critical thinking, inspires confidence and nurtures the intellectual and social development necessary for success in college, career and life. Rigorous coursework, field-based exploration and personalized counseling help students transition from middle school to high school and to higher education and beyond.
The school is based on proven models: the Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders in Austin and the Young Women’s Leadership School in East Harlem.
- Open to middle school girls in grade levels 6th through 8th
- Focus on strengthening leadership abilities and excelling in math, science and technology
- Suitable for students with a strong commitment to graduate from college
- Adding a grade level each year with the first 12th grade class to graduate in 2016
* Incomplete applications will not be accepted, and the following documentation must be submitted with the Choices application prior to the January 11 deadline:
- Most recent report card
- Hand-written Essay
- Two Teacher Recommendations