Staph Infection Prevention
The Fort Worth ISD is promoting a proactive approach to preventing staphylococcal infections. We encourage students, parents and District employees to contact their school’s nurse or the Health Services Department with any questions they may have about staph infections.
Regular hand washing is the best way to prevent staph transmission. Using soap and water, or hand sanitizer – is essential in facilities where people work, live and play close together.
Ways to avoid infection:
- Practice good hygiene, especially regular hand washing.
- Do not share personal items such as towels or razors.
- Thoroughly clean shared items – toys, telephones, keyboards – using any household disinfectant, such as Lysol, Fabulosa or bleach (when using bleach, use a 1:100 bleachwater solution [1 tablespoon per quart of water]).
- Cover open wounds or cuts with a clean, dry bandage.
- Seek medical attention if symptoms occur.
- Schools and employers in close-contact settings should create infection containment policies and provide prevention information to employees.
Courtesy of Tarrant County Public Health