Welcome to Science
Our Mission is to provide a rigorous, differentiated, and relevant science curriculum with standards-aligned resources and assessments that gives instructional support to all campuses through a renewed focus on teacher knowledge and best practices.
The Guiding Principles for Science Instruction in FWISD:
- Evidence of lessons purposefully designed to incorporate core disciplinary ideas and crosscutting concepts with scientific and engineering practices using the district curriculum and pacing guides
- Evidence of outdoor explorations or classroom investigations with rigorous, standards-aligned learning objectives tied to natural phenomena and/or real-world engineering situations
- Evidence of a variety of instructional strategies and assessments which allow students to transfer their conceptual knowledge to make connections and apply their understanding in a new way using mathematics and literacy skills which are integral to science instruction
- Evidence of vocabulary taught in context with student-constructed definitions
- Evidence of a classroom community that highlights the value of evidence, critical thinking, skepticism, and new ideas or ways of thinking
Dr. Herman Jackson, Jr.
K-12 Science Literacy/STEM Director
Core Curriculum & Innovation Coordinator: Secondary Science Literacy & STEM