Certification and Renewal
Continuing professional education (CPE) is required to renew a standard certificate.
- Classroom teachers must complete 150 CPE hours.
- If you hold a professional certificate you must complete 200 CPE hours.
- Administrative and student services are professional certificates
Dyslexia CPE training is required for educators who teach students with dyslexia and must include new research and practices in educating students with dyslexia.
One semester credit hour earned at an accredited institution of higher education is equivalent to 15 CPE clock-hours, not to exceed 90 CPE hours in a semester as stated in DMC(LOCAL).
At least 80% of the CPE activites shall be directly related to the certificate(s) being renewed and focus on the standards required for the initial issuance of the certificate(s).
Professional Learning and Innovation will serve as a clearinghouse to ensure the following:
- Professional learning providers are authorized through the Texas Education Agency (TEA);
- The District's commitment to quality implementation, alignment, and furthering of District initatives through professional learning are achieved; and
- Alignment of expenditures ensures efficiency, eliminates redundancy, and coplies with District, state, and federal regulations.
In-district professional learning must be vetted and approved by the PLI department PRIOR to the event in order to qualify as CPE credit.
Out-of-district professional learning OR vendors must be approved by TEA as a CPE Provider.
Once you have completed your hours of professional learning, keep a copy and upload the tracker to your Eduphoria profile in case of a possible audit by TEA.
For questions that are not answered in the FAQs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. TEA will not make determinations about courses for CPE credit.