What Does a School Counselor Do?
About 50% of my time is spent in classrooms, teaching biweekly counseling lessons to help students develop self-regulation and stress management strategies, build confidence and increase motivation to achieve, and develop positive character traits and social skills. In addition to regular counseling lessons, teachers can request a restorative mini-lesson if there is a specific conflict, behavior, or incident that needs to be addressed with students.
I am also the contact person for the RTI process and additional referrals for Special Education including Speech, Dyslexia Services, and Section 504 accommodations.
Some additional services that I can provide for students and families include;
- Holiday Assistance
- Assistance with uniforms/school supplies
- Family Resource Center referrals
- College and Career Information
- Small-Group and Individual Counseling
- Assistance with behavior interventions and attendance