Resigning/Retiring from Employment with Fort Worth ISD
Important Information: Teachers Resigning During the School Year
Effective October 1, 2020, FWISD will consider requests from teachers to be released from their Chapter 21 teacher contract during the school year upon the District finding a suitable replacement for the position. Until such time as a suitable replacement is found for the requesting teacher, the resignation will not be accepted. Teachers who separate from the District without written acceptance of their resignation may be reported to the Texas Education Agency for breaking their contract without good cause as outlined in Texas Education Code Chapter 21.
Board Policy DFE (LOCAL) requires that resignations shall be submitted in writing to the Superintendent, or designee, and provided with reasonable notice. Employees who submit their resignation are requested to inform their immediate supervisor at the time the resignation is submitted and provide at least two (2) weeks’ notice prior to the last workday whenever possible. All resignations shall include a statement of the reasons for resigning, which may be included in the District Resignation Form 100.
Chapter 21 Contract Employees:
- Board Policy DFE (LEGAL) and Texas Education Code (T.E.C.) require individuals who are employed under a Chapter 21 contract to submit resignations no later than 45 days before the first day of instruction for the following school year. Under T.E.C. Chapter 21.105(c), . 160(c),. 210(c), the State Board for Educator Certification may impose sanctions against a teacher who fails to provide proper notice to the District outlined in this section. The penalty-free deadline for resignations for 2020 is July 3, 2020
- Resignations submitted for the end of the school year (last regularly scheduled workday of the employee for that school year) are accepted upon receipt by the District, and cannot be withdrawn without a written request to and approval by the designated Human Capital Management administrator(s).
- Teachers who resign with less than 45 calendar days prior to the first day of instruction, or during the school year effective during the school year, must have their resignation approved and accepted by the District prior to release from employment. Certified employees working under a Chapter 21 contract who resign and cease reporting to duty without acceptance of their resignation from the District may be reported the Texas Education Agency for breaking their employment contract without approval from the District.
- Board Policy DFE (LOCAL) states that the Superintendent, or designee, shall be authorized to accept the resignation of at-will employees at any time. At-will employees are requested to provide two (2) weeks' notice prior to the employee's last workday whenever possible.
Retirement with the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS):
A Retirement Form 100 must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Retirement notifications are requested to be submitted 60 calendar days before the effective date of retirement so that the District may complete documents required by TRS for the employee's retirement application.
Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS)
TRS Website: www.trs.texas.gov
Please contact TRS for information about submitting your application for retirement benefits. Employees are required to submit a TRS-7 Form, obtained from TRS with the application for retirement benefits packet, to the District as part of their retirement notice.
Submitting a Separation (Resignation or Retirement):
Complete the Fillable Form 100. After completing this step, please proceed with the remaining steps listed below.
- Select at the top of the form the reason for separation (RESIGN or RETIRE)
- Complete all sections of the Form 100.
- Include electronic signature (e-sign) and date. Instructions to e-sign if needed: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/fill-and-sign.html
- Save the document and submit completed and e-signed Form 100 to email@example.com for processing
- Resignation – Submit FORM 100 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Retirement – Submit FORM 100 to email@example.com
Pease mail your original TRS7 form to: Payroll, 100 N. University Drive, Fort Worth, TX 76107
All resignations are pending approval until processed.
Employees who wish to withdraw or amend a resignation must submit a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org.