The applied learning approach encourages children to be independent learners while working as members of a team to apply classroom learning to new situations. In addition to team work, an applied learning education emphasizes:
- Communication skills, especially writing
- Awareness of positive complex behavior such as problem-solving
Applied Learning students work with businesses and organizations outside the classrooms to complete hands-on, real-world, child-centered projects within authentic learning situations.
Carlson’s enrichment program provides opportunities for students to study areas of particular interest, participate in fine arts, and provide volunteer service to the school and community. Students also receive instruction by certified specialists in music, art, computers, and physical education.
The school-wide discipline model is based on positive discipline and peer mediation that encourages student responsibility.
Other highlights include:
- Assessment system that utilizes nationally benchmarked standards, rubrics and criteria charts, parent-child-teacher conferences, and portfolio presentations
- Partnerships with the Fort Worth Zoo, Texas Christian University, REAL School Gardens, University Baptist Church, and Texas Master Gardeners
- Computer lab and laptop computer cart for student use
- Outdoor Learning Environment for science observations, projects, and experiments
Attention 5th grade parents!
You will receive preference to Applied Learning Academy ONLY if it is listed as your FIRST choice on the Choices application.