About Richard J. Wilson
In 1914, the school opened as South Fort Worth School and it was designed for three classrooms per floor. The building is constructed with red brick and cast stone window sills, coping, and decorative banding. From 1917 until 1925, the school served as a high school. In 1922, South Fort Worth was annexed by the City of Fort Worth and the school district was adopted into Fort Worth Independent School District. The School was then renamed South Fort Worth Elementary School. In 1927, two wings with two levels were constructed on the east and west sides of the building. In 1953, a one story, “U” shaped addition that housed classrooms, offices, auditorium, and a cafeteria was constructed in front of the main building. In 1987, a concrete panel activities building was constructed detached from the northeast of the main building. The next to last, addition, constructed in an “L” around the main building opened in 2002, and uses a palette of yellow and red brick to math all buildings. Richard Wilson was a long time principal, and after his retirement, the school was renamed in his honor.
Richard J. Wilson