Texas Education Agency's Compulory Attendance Law
Section 25.092 contains the provision of law commonly referred to as “the 90 percent rule,” which applies to a student in any grade level from kindergarten through grade 12. Section 25.092 conditions credit or a final grade for a class on a student’s attendance for at least 90 percent of the days a class is offered.
How to excuse an absence:
- Send a written parent note to the attendance office within 7 days of the absence. Each student is allowed 6 absences excused by a parent note per semester.
- Send a doctor's note on office letterhead to the attendance office within 7 days of the absence.
*Remember: Even excused absences affect a student's ability to gain credit in class.
- Parent provides a written note with a valid contact number and sends the note with the student to school.
- The attendance staff with confirm the early dismissal and write a dismissal slip for the student.
- The student will pick up the dismissal slip during any passing period before the early dismissal time.
- The student must provide written documentation (parent note or doctor's note) in order for the absence to be excused.