William Jasper Turner of Ft. Worth was a pioneer in the ranching industry. He owned many sections of land, spanning several counties. He was born in Tennessee in 1849 and moved to Texas, residing in counties of Hill, Runnels, and Border. Arriving in Ft. Worth in 1903, Mr. Turner and retired from business.
As a member of First Baptist Church he cleared the church of old debt and gave the grounds for Turner Memorial School in 1916. The school was built that same year. By 1924, the building housed nine classrooms, an auditorium and cafeteria. The school was officially named W.J. Turner Elementary School in the 1930’s and a landscaping project was overseen be the Civil Works Administration in 1934. The original building was destroyed and new life began for the school when a larger building was constructed in 1948.
We are proud of our school’s history and the man who made it possible for us. Now that the building is eligible for the National Registry we are pursuing that goal.
Thank you to Victor Flores, former student, for compiling our school history information.