The original W.P. McLean Junior High School located at the current site of R.L. Paschal High School
William Pickney McLean Junior High School first opened on January 28, 1936. The school was located at the corner of Forest Park and Berry Street, the present sight of R.L. Paschal High School. McLean Junior High School moved to its present location on Stadium Drive in September, 1954. In September of 1969 it was renamed McLean Middle School. McLean's first principal was Mr. E. E. Dyess, who served for 22 years as the principal. In 1954, the McLean Letter "M" Award was begun by the first principal, Mr. Dyess. The Letter "M" is presented to 8th graders who who excel in scholastic achievement, good citizenship, and extracurricular involvement. The Letter "M" award continues to this day to be given to deserving 8th grade students. McLean has its own art collection which was founded by the McLean Art Council during the 1946-1947 school year. The art collection numbers 34 paintings and the work of 29 artists.