I am Coleen Johnson, the School Counselor. I have been at De Zavala for eight years and this is my 20th year in education. I attended Tennessee State University for my Bachelor's degree in Education and University of North Texas for my Master's degree in Counseling. I have a 14-year-old son and a pet Yorkie. I enjoy spending time with family, dancing, and watching movies. This year will still be different, but remember I am here to help you with your needs.
What does the School Counselor do?
- Help prevent barriers to learning.
- Teach guidance lessons that help all students develop life skills.
- See children individually, in small groups, and during classroom presentations to support their social and emotional needs.
- Coordinate 504 services and Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) for students struggling academically or behavorially.
- Provide resources to students and families.
- Work with community members to provide resources, programs and mentors to our students.