What does the School Counselor do?
- Help prevent barriers to learning.
- Teach guidance lessons that help all students develop life skills.
- See children individually, in small groups, and during classroom presentations to support their social and emotional needs.
- Coordinate 504 services and Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) for students struggling academically or behavorially.
- Provide resources to students and families.
- Work with community members to provide resources, programs and mentors to our students.
Academic Advising and Counseling Services Needs Assessment Survey
These are the links for the Academic Advising and Counseling Services Needs Assessment Surveys. Any of these links take you to the survey to choose, student, parent, or staff. Please complete this survey to help our counselor know how to best meet the needs of our students and families. All responses are anonymous. The survey closes on September 20, 2019.
I am Coleen Johnson, the School Counselor. I have been at De Zavala for eight years and this is my 20th year in education. I attended Tennesse State University for my Bachelor's degree in Education and University of North Texas for my Master's degree in Counselingl I have a 14 year old son and a pet Yorkie. I enjoy spending time with family, dancing, and watching movies. This year will still be different, but remember I am here to help you with your needs.