Harlean Beal Elementary School, 5615 Forest Hill Drive, Forest Hill. 1949, c. 1957, 1978, 1990, c. 2002.
The present building had its origins as a new building constructed in 1949 to relieve overcrowded conditions in another building on the site. L. C. Cavitt designed the new 1- story, 10-classroom building in a style influenced by the International Movement. Six classrooms, designed by Robert P. Woltz, Jr., were added as a part of the 1956 Building Program. Other additions followed. Under the 1999 Bond Program, most of the historic school was demolished. A new school, designed by Wadkins and Associates and erected by Scott and Reed, general contractor, has been constructed on the site, although the 1990 addition to the former school was retained. Due to the loss of integrity, the school is not eligible for the National Register. The school’s current namesake, Harlean Berry Beal, was the school’s first African American principal, a position she held from 1984 until her retirement in 1996. Harlean Berry Beal Elementary is the former Forest Hill Elementary School. The name was changed in 1996 to honor the retired principal Harlean Berry Beal.