In 1955, the six acre site of Carter Park Elementary School was given to the Fort Worth Independent School District by the late Amon Carter, Amon Carter Jr. and Mr. Carter's daughter, Mrs. J. L. Johnson III. The school received its name from the land the Carter family gave the city along Sycamore Creek where the city developed Carter Park. The school site at the time was a cow pasture. By September, 1955, the pasture was transformed into a school by the moving of six temporary buildings, an office building and a building which was used as an auditorium and cafeteria combined.
There were 220 children and 10 teachers when school opened the first year. Miss Ruth Workman was the principal who guided the school through its first school year. Before the end of the first year student enrollment reached 330 children. Additional teachers were added mid-year increasing the total to 12 teachers. Carter Park currently serves over 600 students and has 32 classroom teachers.