Meet Our Staff

Como Staff
  • About our School

    Posted by Merrily Martin on 10/26/2016

     

     

    Como Elementary

     Como Elementary School opened in February 1954 when students transferred from the adjacent Como School at 4001 Littlepage. Immediately prior to its construction, the elementary classrooms were located in several wood framed buildings behind the current site. The Como schools were constructed to serve the youth of the Arlington Heights area on Fort Worth's west side. Herman G. Cox's design for the mostly 1-story building was influenced by the International movement with its flat roof with slight overhang. The use of contrasting red and orange brick provides visual emphasis. The classrooms have large window openings, most of which have been partially infilled. An addition of 20 classrooms and other facilities under the 1956 Building Program gave Como Elementary a capacity for 1152 students, making it one of the largest elementary schools for African American youth in the city. The school is to receive interior renovations under Phase 4 of the 1999 Bond Program but no additions are planned. It will be potentially eligible for the National Register in 2009 for its role in the education of African American youth on Fort Worth's West Side.

    Comments (-1)

Recent

By Month