• At M.G. Ellis, we believe a child's education is best achieved when there is a strong partnerhip between home and school and we encourage parents to be actively involved in their child's education. When schools and parents work together, there is no limit to what a child can do! M.G. Ellis is the only primary school in FWISD to serve only Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students. This distinction allows our school staff to specialize in early childhood education and equips us to meet the academic and social-emotional needs of young learners.

    Our school has 8 Kindergarten classrooms and 9 Pre-Kindergarten classrooms. Each Pre-K classroom has a certified classroom teacher and a certified Instructional Aide who work together to provide rigourous learning in a fun learning environment. We also have two Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) classrooms. One classroom serves students age 3-5 in a self-contained setting and one ECSE classroom serves Kindergarten students in an inclusion setting. 

    Students at M.G. Ellis regularly participate in "Specials" classes such as Music, Art, and P.E. under the direction of certified teachers. Our full-time librarian makes sure we have plenty of library books suitable for our students, teachers, and families. She also shares her love of reading with students on their assigned library day.  We have a full-time school counselor who provides guidance lessons to students and who provides resources to our families and school community. We also have two Speech Language Pathologists who provide Speech therapy for qualified students as part of their individual education plans.

    M.G. Ellis has a variety of enrichment and family activities throughout the year as well. These include

    • Grandparents & Mother's Day breakfasts
    • 100th Day of School & Dr. Seuss celebrations
    • Storybook, Cinco de Mayo and Diez y Seis parades
    • Family Night at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History
    • Math-O-Ween and Literacy Nights
    • Read Across America
    • Week of the Young Child events
    • Field trips
    • Parent volunteer opportunities


    In the fall of 2019, under the leadership of newly appointed Principal Baez, the school staff was asked to work together to redefine the vision and mission statements of M.G. Ellis. During conversations, stafff members felt it was important to grow the whole child by supporting both academic and social-emotional needs of students in a nurturing environment. Additionally, school staff saw their role was to instill a love of learning while inspiring our young learners to be independent. The result of the collaboration was a new vision and mission statement and a new school motto. 





    M.G. Ellis was named after Merida Green Ellis. In 1879, Ellis, a successful real estate developer and cattleman, financed the construction of a one-room frame schoolhouse that would be named the Marine School. 


    Marine School


    In 1905, the Marine School was replaced with a more substantial structure on adjacent land located at the intersection of 14th Street and Main Streets. The new structure, M.G. Ellis School, was named after Ellis for his contributions to development of North Fort Worth and for his work estrablishing the first school public school.  

    NFW Public School 1905

    The existing school structure seen today at 215 N.E. 14th Street was erected in 1953 to replace the former M.G. Ellis School. This international-influenced building was designed by Clyde H. Woodruff, liaison architect to the district. It is unique among other schools of the era in that it was constructed by the school system's Maintenance Division. M.G. Ellis Early Childhood Center re-opened in the fall of 2003 after being significantly enlarged with additions featuring brown and yellow brick banding and metal roof accents. This campus is the only campus in Fort Worth I.S.D. to service only Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students.  



      M.G. Ellis 1953   Ellis Today




    Fort Worth Architecture

    Marine School Log Cabin Village

    Pate, J'Nell. North of the River. A Brief History of North Fort Worth. Fort Worth, Texas: Texas Christian University Press, 1994.

    Texas Historical Commission. Marine Commercial Historic District, 2001.