Bruce Shulkey Elementary opened in September, 1958 with Mr. James D. Parnell as principal, fourteen teachers, and 514 students. The school was named after the late Bruce C. Shulkey, assistant superintendent of elementary schools. At the time the school was opened, the Wedgwood community was new and rapidly developing. The school was barely opened, when temporary buildings were moved in to accommodate the expanding school population. For several years, Bruce Shulkey was the largest elementary school in Fort Worth. Our school celebrated its 60th anniversary in September 2018.
Today, we have about 525 students from many countries around the world in twenty-eight classrooms. We have a LINC unit, SEAS unit, and three Language Center classes. Our faculty and students work hard and always strive for success.
Our Mission Statement
We, the staff, students and parents of Bruce Shulkey, believe that all students can and will learn. We believe that our school is a place where teaching and learning takes lace. Our school has a positive atmosphere that is conducive to learning. We will provide quality and equity in instruction. We have high expectations for our students. Our mission is to provide all students with a comprehensive knowledge base, critical thinking skills, and courage to make decisions that create a better future.