W. A. Meacham Middle School opened on September 5, 1961 with 25 classrooms serving 850 students. The first principal was Henry V. Wylie, the former assistant principal at Monning Middle School. The junior high students who were attending the nearby Diamond Hill-Jarvis Junior-Senior High School were transferred to Meacham to begin the year. The school is named after William Alfred Meacham who was an area educator and Fort Wort ISD assistant superintendent of high schools from 1931 to 1960. The school cost $944,619 to construct and was designed by architect Preston M. Geren and built by contractor Cain, Brogdon, and Cain. The school has some elements of the International style with its flat roof and large expanses of metal hopper windows.