Today marks 136 years since Fort Worth’s public education system opened seven schools in the city to schoolchildren.
On this day, October 2, 1882, Fort Worth Public Schools opened seven schools with a total of 17 teachers, according to officials with the District’s Billy W. Sills Center for Archives. By the following month, the Fort Worth Public Schools had 798 students enrolled, and by the close of the school year, there were 1,258 students, according to archives documents.
During the first decade of operation, Fort Worth public schools rented buildings and homes, used churches or constructed framed buildings to educate the city’s schoolchildren until brick and mortar facilities were built.
Pictured is the First Ward school, a frame structure built in 1883 at East Second Street and Crump. It was later renamed Crockett Elementary School.