Return to Headlines

Ask Elsie-- November 1, 2018

EDITOR’S NOTE: Ask Elsie is a column where Chief Financial Officer Elsie Schiro tackles employee queries, or in areas outside her purview, asks other District leaders to answer them.

Dear Elsie,

Does our District have so much money that we can afford to print Interim Assessment one sided and at times one question per page? Over the years I've asked this question to various people in Admin and heads of department, and the response has always been the same, that its ADQ who has control of this. Is there nothing we can do to reduce paper waste and waste of funds?

Mr. Trevino

Dear Mr. Trevino,

Thank you for your question. I reached out to Charles Carroll, chief academic officer, and Sara Arispe, associate superintendent of assessment and accountability, regarding your question and here’s the response: “The interim assessments are printed by external print vendors. We follow our District purchasing guidelines for selection of vendors and select the lowest cost bid from the vendor. The cost for the vendors has consistently been higher for 2 sided, and if not, it's the same cost with earlier delivery on one-sided. The number of items on a page is determined by the content specialists who design the tests for each grade level based on the font size recommended for students at that grade level and/or as used on state assessments. “White space” on the page is intentionally included on assessments so that students have room to make notes, work problems, or use other strategies they find helpful.”

Thanks again Mr. Trevino for your question and thank you Mr. Carroll and Ms. Arispe for your response.


Dear Elsie,

I'm planning on leaving my position at the end of the year. My question for you is -- when I quit does the District pay me for any sick and or personal time that I have built up?


Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for your question. I reached out to Max Ates, senior officer of payroll, benefits and risk management, and Brenda DeLeon, director of compensation and employee records, regarding your question and here’s the response: “If you are an employee who works 240 days or more per year and you accrue vacation, you will be paid for vacation days accrued through the day of separation.

All days accrued as State Personal Leave remaining upon separation may be ported to another State entity. You will need to request an Employee Service Record from the Employee Records Department upon your departure.

Employees hired prior to September 1, 2003 were grandfathered into a benefit that is no longer offered. This benefit is defined in Board Policy DEG(Local). This benefit is offered to current qualified employees only if the reason for separation is retirement from TRS. If you qualify, you may receive payment for up to 20 accrued sick days. The number of days are based upon the accrual balance as of August 31, 2012 compared to the balance upon retirement. The number of days will be the lesser of the accrued balance as of August 31, 2012 and the balance as of the day of retirement up to a maximum of 20 days.

Other than the aforementioned employees, there is no payment of local or state days upon separation from Fort Worth ISD.”

Thanks again for your question Anonymous and thank you Mr. Ates and Ms. DeLeopn for the response.


Direct your questions to and put the words "Ask Elsie" in the subject line. Please close your letter with your preferred signature as you wish it to appear in the column. When there are multiple queries on the same subject, we will select the one that is most representative of the subject. We will try to answer as many questions as possible.

Please bear with us as we have a backlog of Ask Elsie questions and are responding to questions as soon as we can.