- Oaklawn Elementary School
FWISD Participates in Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl Festivities for Eighth Year
For the eighth consecutive school year, Fort Worth ISD is participating in festivities for the annual Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl.
Festivities get underway with a January 3, 2020 luncheon at the Fort Worth Convention Center, tailgate and pre-game festivities prior to the 10:30 a.m. January 4, 2020 kickoff.
The Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles (7-5, 5-3 Conference USA) and the Tulane Green Wave (6-6, 3-5 American Athletic) will square off in the 17th annual bowl, which is being hosted at Texas Christian University’s Amon G. Carter Stadium. This is the first appearance in the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl for both teams and the first time the two football teams have competed against each other in a decade.
Cadet Angel Sanchez of Paschal High School is slated to sing the national anthem at annual Kick-off Armed Forces Bowl Luncheon on January 3, 2020.
The District’s Joint Services Color Guard, led by retired Col. Russell Malesky and retired 1st Sgt. Terrance Campbell, will present the U.S. and armed forces service flags at the luncheon.
The following Joint Services Color Guard members are slated to participate in the festivities:
- Arlington Heights High School – Cadet Michael L. Faulks - POW/MIA flag
- Arlington Heights High School – Cadet Cris Cajero – Navy flag
- Arlington Heights High School – Cadet Jack Peck – Marine Corps flag
- Carter- Riverside High School -- Cadet Viviana Lopez – Army flag
- North Side High School – Cadet Alan Zuniga – Texas flag
- South Hills High School – Cadet Grace Garcia – Coast Guard flag
- Trimble Tech High School – Cadet Armando Gomez – U.S. flag
- Western Hills High School – Cadet Eric Bowie – Air Force flag
- Western Hills High School – Cadet Roy Castellanos – Right Guard
- South Hills High School – Cadet Jared O’Brien – Left Guard
Fans at Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl will see a 30-second Fort Worth ISD commercial on the big screen during the game featuring retired 1st Sgt. Campbell.
The commercial has a recruitment theme – for teachers, cafeteria workers, bus drivers, and custodial staff – all needed at Fort Worth ISD.
The Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl will air on ESPN. For more bowl details, visit www.armedforcesbowl.com.